Sunday, January 29, 2012

Damnnnnnn....Whiteboy's Got Skills!

Alright, so to continue my saga to discover different bands around the D continued this weekend with The Dan Rafferty Band. Now I must say, unlike the last band I saw, I had heard tons of good things about the DRB, so my expectations were very high.


Let me say.....They definitely did NOT disappoint!


The DRB are a group of all guys and 1 girl who play tons of songs across every genre you can think of. Between the talent of the members of the group and the energy that they exude, its nearly impossible to have a bad time while watching them.


However, I must say my favorite part of the night was when they did "I Love the Way You Move" by Outkast. Why, you ask? Well, thats because Dan Rafferty himself did one of the rap verses to the song. Why is that a big deal? Well that would be because Dan is in his 60's! Now I know what people might be thinking. When we see older people rapping our first inclination is to say something like "ohhhhh, that's so cute", just like if you were to see a puppy trying to use a skateboard or a baby using an Ipad. However, this was not what people were saying. If anything I would say it was more like this:


DAMMMMMNNNNNN.....White boy's got some skills!


He not only rapped it, but made it sound good. So good in fact that if you were not looking at him, you probably wouldn't have even known it was him doing it.


Probably the only negative aspect of the night that I had was that they did almost all rock music in their first set. While I like rock music, I like when groups switch it up a little more and keep people guessing. However, I'm guessing the fact that they were in White Lake, MI at Billy's Tip N' Inn might have had something to do with the song selection.


Also, since we are highlighting some of the talent in the group, I just need to say that the saxophone player was unbelievably talented. I have grown up around music, specifically instrumental music my entire life, and he is one of the most musically talented people I have ever had the opportunity to see live. The only way to truly do this group justice is to go out and see them!


I don't know what else I can say about the group besides that they were one of, if not the best band I have seen in the D thus far. With that being said, heres the ratings for the performance:


Music:  *****
Performance:   *****
Talent:   *****
Entertainment Value:   ****



So, if you are looking to go out with some friends and have a guaranteed good time, then I recommend going and seeing the Dan Rafferty Band. They also take requests, so if you don't hear your favorite song, odds are that they know it and would be more than happy to play it for you. They also do weddings and other events, so whatever the venue, I think they would definitely be the band to call!


And always remember.....Squatters have rights too.


OVER AND OUT!

2 comments:

  1. I agree - Great band and they can play it all. I love their motown sets and whenever they bust out the Black Eyed Peas...among many others. They are a very interactive band and I love it when they get on the dance floor and work the crowd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the great review :-)

    ReplyDelete